Thursday, September 27, 2012

More Amazing Journal Highlights


Hi Everyone,

As I mentioned last week, I’m moving to Portland this Sunday.  Because I’m in the middle of transitioning, I thought it would be a good time for another round of highlights from my Amazing Journal, especially since it’s been almost a year since the last one.  Here they are:



My most recent Amazing Journals

November 16, 2011: Today I read about how SCAD has been on this list of schools that restrict academic freedom (it has been on the list for the last two decades).  They tried recently to get off the list but when the people came recently to evaluate the school, SCADMINISTRATION restricted where they could go and who they could talk with.  So no . . . 

November 19, 2011: Today I learned that when you’re holding a chicken, if you twist its body back and forth, its head will stay in the same position, like a weighted ball that won’t ever roll over properly.

November 25, 2011: Today when Erin and I were at lunch, Erin noticed an older gentleman at a nearby table who had an acorn tucked behind his ear.  Did it just land there and he didn’t notice, or did he put it there for some reason?

December 3, 2011: Today I overheard two ladies speaking in some Slavic-sounding language in Forsyth.  Then all of a sudden, I heard a word I recognized: Effingham.  Of course.

December 4, 2011: Today when I went to check in to my flight online, I was told I couldn’t because I was an infant and my guardian needed to do it in person.

December 6, 2011: Today, I went to STCU [my bank] and saw a sign with a triceratops riding a horse.  I asked what that was about and was told the triceratops was riding a carousel.   OOOHHH!  Well, that explains it, then.

December 13, 2011: Today I remembered that yesterday, UPS sent me a letter asking for a donation of $0.  That doesn’t inspire confidence in either UPS or in me!

January 15, 2012: Today I ordered a chai from the Rocket Bakery, and it came in a very plain white mug.  I was going along when all of a sudden, I spotted what seemed to be a kiwi in my drink! It turns out that it was a green ceramic fish glued to the inside of this fish.  Why? So, so weird.  And terrifying.

February 14, 2012: Today I read about a shark that swallowed another shark! It’s a carpet shark, and apparently can unhinge its jaws so it can swallow large prey.  Oh perfect.  Because the only thing nicer than a shark is a SNAKE shark disguised as a rug.  Oh joy.

April 3, 2012: Today Marcy, Frank and I saw a guy walking with two other people who were dressed normally. He was covered head to toe in a grassy substance that made him look like Chubaka gone to seed.

April 6, 2012: Today John and Pooja got an inspection of the sewer system at their new home.  They were given the results on a DVD and it came with a bag of popcorn.  When the video robot came to the part where there were roots pressing into the pipe, it couldn’t get through and it just kept slamming against it like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

April 28, 2012: Today we discovered that a (very tame) marmot had made a nest in the bonnet of Claude [our Toyota Camry]! It had spent the night in the garage and had chewed at the insulation in the door trying to get out.

May 24, 2012: Today, as I turned onto Strong Road, there was this magic floating cotton storm, except it was sunny and calm and lovely.  I felt like I was in a movie.

June 10, 2012: Today, on the way to the Tallahassee airport, we were on a very deserted back road early in the misty morning and we saw one man walking on the shoulder and another walking very determinedly toward him.  That one had a cowboy hat on and it seemed like they were about to have a duel.

July 23, 2012: Today I was embarrassed to learn that one of the books I’d gotten for Paul Zelinsky to sign was already inscribed by several people.  But fortunately, it was inscribed to someone named Sarah, so I totally pulled it off!

August 19, 2012: Today, when Daddy and I were taking out the ceiling in my bathroom, we found a ball of my hair in the space leading to the laundry room.  It looked like a cobweb made of hair and I have no idea how it got there.

August 24, 2012: Today I saw a person busking.  He was wearing black from head to toe and was wearing a Darth Vader mask.   He was also playing the fiddle.

September 6, 2012: Today I saw what I was convinced was a dead vervet monkey by the side of the highway as I was leaving Portland.  Even this city’s roadkill is weird!

September 7, 2012: Today, at Bennidito’s, a family was sitting outside near us.  For some reason, they went over and sat outside Subway for a while.  When they came back, the son, who was maybe eight or so, gasped, leapt up and said, “My toothpick!”  He sprinted back over to the table outside Subway and retrieved the toothpick.  Crisis averted.

September 15, 2012: Today I babysat the Van Sickles and we made a rainbow angel food cake that basically looked like a brick of cotton candy.


Next time, I’ll be writing from Portland!  I have gotten several requests for my new address.  Let me know if you’d like it, and I’d be happy to pass it along.

Have an amazing week!

Sarah/Mouse

1 comment:

Krishna Chavda said...

I love you.
The chicken, effingham and the bank stories were my favourites.